“If I ran the zoo,” said a young Gerald McGrew, “I’d make a few changes, that’s just what I’d do…..” The lions & tigers and that kind of stuff, They have up here now are not quite good enough. You see things like these in just any old zoo. They’re awfully old-fashioned. I want something new! — Dr Seuss If I ran the Zoo book.
So true Gerald McGrew so true. Have you ever stopped to ponder the implications of the word “If” in your life? Recently, I have stopped to think about the power of this one little word that shows up daily in my life and in different places in the bible. Did you know that the word “if” is used 1,784 times in 1,589 verses within the NIV translation in the Bible? it is a well used word in the Bible and it places conditions on God’s promises.
- Deut. 30:9-20 | “The Lord will prosper you— if you obey”
- 1 Kings 11:38 | “If you listen and do what is right— I will be with you”
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 | “if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.”
- Matt 6:14-15 | “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”
- Matt 21:22 | “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
- John 8:51 | “I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
- John 13:35 | “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
- John 15:6-7 | If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.”
God’s Heart |
“If” gives me the creativity to change things. Like Mr McGrew, it means opportunities are endless as my future is evolving. I don’t have to be a victim. I am not helpless. Written into the very words that bring life is an invitation to make a difference, to act and to see results based on my actions.
“If” invites me into partnership with God to achieve His kingdom purposes on earth. The word “If” when spoken by God says to me, “I’ll do my part, you do your part and together we’ll make something miraculous happen.” It’s crazy to think the God of the universe wants to work together with me to accomplish His will.
“If” empowers me to shape history. The bible demonstrates over and over again how I, through the power of the Holy Spirit can make a difference, saving a life. “If” empowers me to pray prayers that influence the decisions of kings, prayers that can eradicate cancer, and prayers that transform a heart.
the word “if” is used 1,784 times in the Bible– Learn of it’s game-changing power
Click To Tweet
You see, although just two letters, it is a huge and powerful word that singlehandedly prevents me from putting God in a box. It’s a word that gives a dimension of infinite depth and limitless possibilities to the word of God and the applications of scripture. If gives me a glimpse into God’s heart and love for me. I want to encourage you to stop living a life wondering “IF” it would have been different by putting Him in charge of running your zoo today.
How you are trusting Him with your “if’s” in your professional & personal life?